5 card alerts to protect your debit and credit cards
Using your debit or credit card to make purchases is very convenient, no matter where you shop – streaming services, mobile apps, cell phone bills, utility services, your favorite store, and even groceries.
Even better, online retailers have added the convenience of saving card information online for future purchases. But while convenience is key, it is also important to take every measure available to protect yourself and your card information. Thankfully, banks and credit card companies make it easy to protect and monitor your information and stay in the know of possible fraud attempts as they are made.
That being said, here’s our list of five card alerts that are essential to protecting your card information:
- Travel Notifications – One of the easiest ways to detect fraud is through location tracking. However, sometimes what looks like a fraud attempt to us, could actually be legitimate. For example, if you’re using your card to make a purchase while on vacation or just out and about in a new city. Banks and credit card companies have made it easier than ever for you to let them know when you are traveling. So before you head out on your next trip, let your bank or credit card company know where you are going and for how long in order to avoid an accidental decline while traveling.
- Location Alert – The location alert allows you to easily select the specific region where you make the majority of your purchases. When a transaction is made outside of that area you will receive a notification by text or email. If the purchase happens to be you, then there is nothing to worry about, but if it isn’t a legitimate transaction, then you’ll know right away.
- Spend Alert – With the spend alert you are able to designate a specific monetary amount for your card transactions. When your card makes a purchase that exceeds the specified amount the alert will notify you. While sometimes you may be the one making a big purchase, it’s safer to be notified every time, for that instance, where the big purchase isn’t coming from you.
- Merchant Alert – The merchant alert notifies you of purchases at a specific type of store. There are lots of merchant categories, which include gas stations, grocery stores, pharmacies, restaurants, travel purchases, and even department store and entertainment. Simply pick which categories of merchants you want to receive notifications from, and every time a purchase is made at those specific places then you will be notified.
- Transaction Alert – There are several ways a transaction purchase can be made - online purchases, in-store purchases, auto payments for monthly bills, mail or phone orders, and even ATM withdrawals. The transaction alert lets you pick transaction types to monitor and can be super helpful in keeping tabs on your card activity. Whether someone gained access to your card information or has your physical card in hand, you’ll know if a transaction is placed and can call your card provider immediately.
Don’t wait – take advantage of these alerts today. Download the Jefferson Bank App, then log in using your Online Banking username and password. Select Card Management from the menu, and finally choose Card Alerts or Travel Notifications.
If you’re not enrolled in Online Banking, you can do so here.
The information provided in these articles is intended for informational purposes only. It is not to be construed as the opinion of Central Bancompany, Inc., and/or its affiliates and does not imply endorsement or support of any of the mentioned information, products, services, or providers. All information presented is without any representation, guaranty, or warranty regarding the accuracy, relevance, or completeness of the information.