Tips to Keep Your Delivery Packages Safe
With more online shopping, it's harder to keep delivered packages safe. Learn ways to make sure your packages arrive without any issues.
Picture the anticipation of awaiting an anticipated package, only to discover it missing from your doorstep. Unfortunately, this scenario unfolds when porch pirates strike, stealing delivered packages before you can retrieve them. Learn tips on how you can keep your packages from falling into the hands of thieves.
Understanding Porch Pirates
Porch pirates are individuals who roam neighborhoods and steal packages left unattended outside homes. With the increase of online shopping, these pirates take advantage of the opportunity to snatch packages directly from your doorstep. They often target homes that offer an easy entry and exit, especially if the porch or delivery location is within 25 feet of the street and visible.
While porch pirates can strike at any time of the year, they are particularly drawn to the holiday season when doorsteps are filled with an abundance of packages.
Preventing package theft in a city apartment is not the same as preventing it in a suburban neighborhood. However, there are ways you can prevent package theft, no matter where you live.
- Delivery Scheduling: Plan your deliveries for times when you or a trusted person will be present to receive them.
- Package Receiving Services: Explore options provided by major retailers, such as Amazon, offering secure package receiving locations away from your home, accessible with a key or code. Some businesses also offer this service, allowing you to designate an alternative delivery location and pick up your packages at your convenience.
- Signature Requirements: When making a purchase, opt for delivery that requires a signature. This adds an extra layer of security, ensuring your package doesn't end up in the wrong hands.
- Security Camera Installation: Visible security cameras can scare away porch pirates. In the event of a theft, having evidence captured on camera can help identify the thieves.
- Community Engagement: Being friends with your neighbors helps keep your home safe. If you’re not around, a neighbor can watch out for your packages, and you can do the same for them.
If You Fall Victim
If someone takes your packages, tell the police and delivery company right away. Some delivery services can give you money back for what you lost. Acting quickly helps stop this kind of theft and keeps your neighborhood safe from it happening again.
The information provided in these articles is intended for informational purposes only. It is not to be construed as the opinion of Central Bancompany, Inc., and/or its subsidiaries and does not imply endorsement or support of any of the mentioned information, products, services, or providers. All information presented is without any representation, guaranty, or warranty regarding the accuracy, relevance, or completeness of the information.